The Best and Worst Insurance Comparison Sites 2021
Everyone wants to get the most coverage at the lowest cost. Instead of scouting out auto insurance quotes from each company on your own, the best insurance comparison sites can help you save time and money on your insurance by doing the heavy lifting for you. But not all sites are created equal. Here’s what you need to know before you start:
Table of contents:
- How Car Insurance Comparison Sites Work
- Aren’t All Auto Insurance Quote Sites the Same?
- How to Find the Best Car Insurance Comparison Site
- Car Insurance Comparison FAQ
How Car Insurance Comparison Sites Work
Car insurance comparison sites pull multiple quotes from several providers using either historical data or connecting with the insurance companies directly. The process is simple. All you need to do is enter basic information about yourself, your vehicle, and your driving history. If you already have a car insurance policy, you may even be able to receive a side-by-side comparison to your current policy.
After you’ve entered your information, the site will pull up quotes from different car insurance companies. If you’ve connected your current policy, you’ll likely see quotes for policies with the same or similar amounts of coverage. In your results, you’ll be able to review rates and the coverage that comes with each.
If you find a policy you like, there should be an option for you to purchase it directly.
Aren’t All Auto Insurance Quote Sites the Same?
While comparison sites are helpful, it’s important to remember that they aren’t all the same.
Real-time comparison sites
First, it’s important to understand the difference between real-time and estimated quote comparison sites. Real-time sites provide quotes actually generated by the insurers and use current data as opposed to historic data. In turn, the quotes received may be more accurate.
Sites that offer real time quotes:
- Insurify: Insurify offers real time quotes from insurers like MetLife, The General, and Liberty Mutual. It currently has a 4.8 Yelp rating as of this posting.
- PolicyGenius: Through a partnership with CoverHound, PolicyGenius offers real time quotes for auto insurance as well as homeowners and renters coverage. As of 2021, visitors must choose a bundle option. Auto-only comparisons are not currently available.
- Compare.com: Compare.com provides real time quotes for auto, homeowners, and renter insurance policies. Customers can choose between monthly payment policies and annual renewal policies.
- Gabi: Gabi offers free insurance quotes within minutes. Customers can match coverage, compare rates, and save an average of $961 per year. Gabi currently has a Google rating of 4.8/5.
Estimated quote comparison sites
Estimated quote comparison sites use historic data to provide you with a quote. Because the quotes aren’t generated in real time, the price you receive when you sign up may be slightly different. However, with estimated quote comparison sites, you may receive a broader range of insurance quotes. The better comparison sites also work with real-life advisors to provide better service.
Sites that offer estimated quotes:
- NerdWallet: NerdWallet offers a range of quotes from several insurance providers. Site visitors must create a NerdWallet account and sign a waiver to have their credit scores pulled by insurer partners. However, NerdWallet provides reviews of each insurer after each quote so visitors can learn more about the company.
Lead generation comparison sites
There are also lead generation sites, which work more for car insurance companies than for you. Lead generation sites collect your information and then sell it to their advertising partners, which are most often insurance providers. Typically, rather than receive quotes online, you’ll receive calls from insurers and insurance agents trying to win your business.
Lead generation comparison sites:
- DMV.org: Despite the name, DMV.org is not associated with your local Department of Motor Vehicles. The website does provide DMV information alongside an insurance quote generator. Keep in mind, you will not receive quotes from the site. Instead, you’ll opt in to have insurers contact you or receive options to visit insurers websites directly.
- InsuranceQuotes: Visitors to this site must agree to be contacted by several insurance agencies directly. This could include robocalling.
How to Find the Best Car Insurance Comparison Site
So which comparison site is the best tool? It’s not an easy question to answer. Look at the features offered. You’ll get the most value from using a comparison site that is not a lead generator site. Instead, you should look for one that aims to act as your insurance broker. Like any good broker, a website that prioritizes its relationship with you as its customer is one that will work hard to help you find the right insurance policy.
If you’ve used comparison sites in the past, you may have noticed that some require you to visit multiple sites or click through several web pages to actually view car insurance rates. A site that allows you to do it all in one place will save you the most time and frustration.
Another useful feature is the ability to compare your current policy to new policies. This allows you to see apples-to-apples comparisons, instead of trying to match up the coverage from your new quotes to what you have now.
Keep in mind, a good comparison site will tell you if you already have the best price instead of trying to get you to purchase a new policy. You should also never pay any fees to use insurance comparison sites. Check the site’s about page or FAQs first to see both what they offer and what they may potentially charge.
Car Insurance Comparison FAQ
Which comparison site is best for car insurance?
Not all comparison sites are created equal. To simplify the process, opt for a site that can help you both compare and find your next insurance policy, not simply pass your private contact information on to dozens of insurance agencies. Also look for a site that works to offer you the best price. At Gabi, for example, we always tell you who has the lowest price — even if that’s your current policy. We also believe comparison sites should never sell your private information.
How do I find the best insurance rates?
To find the best car insurance rates, you need to compare quotes from different insurance companies. While comparison sites can simplify the research process, keep in mind that your quotes are based on a number of factors such as your age, driving history, and even credit score. Taking certain actions — like increasing your deductible or improving your credit score before applying for insurance — can help you secure the lowest rates.
Not sure if you already qualify for the lowest rates? Consider getting a free, no obligation quote through a comparison site like Gabi. Remember, searching for rates won’t impact your credit score, so you can (and should) compare at least once a year.
Which auto insurance company has the best rates?
Auto insurance companies base their rates on several factors, including your driving record, credit score, where you live, your age, whether you’ll be bundling services, your deductible, and more. No auto insurance company will have the best rates for every person, which is why it’s so important to compare quotes using your unique information.
What are the 10 best insurance companies?
Finding the best insurance company is largely subjective. However, your insurance company should offer a few basic services: First, you should feel covered whether you’re looking for basic liability coverage or comprehensive coverage with uninsured motorist protection. If your insurer doesn’t offer the coverage levels you need at an affordable price point, it is time to shop around. If you ever do need to file a claim, you’ll want a fast response and good customer service. While price shouldn’t be your only deciding factor, looking for the lowest costs can be a good starting point. These nine insurance companies offer the cheapest car insurance, based on a nationwide study:
- State Farm
- American Family
Keep in mind, it pays to shop around. While these providers offer the cheapest car insurance on average, you may find a better deal with another agency, and the best insurance comparison sites can help you find it. Ready to get started? We can have quotes from several insurance providers on your screen in just a few minutes. Try it now for free.
Editorial content on Gabi.com is not written by a licensed insurance agent. It is intended for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal or financial advice.