Are Online Auto & Home Insurance Quotes Accurate? | Gabi
How accurate are insurance comparison tools? As these tools have sprouted up all over the Internet, it’s a fair question—and the answer depends on which type of car insurance quotes tool you’re using.
There are two types of insurance comparison tools. The first is owned and engineered by a specific insurance company, such as Progressive, State Farm, Liberty Mutual, or Geico. These tools are designed to allow you to compare multiple policies from that single provider. Some of them also provide you with rates from their competitors, but because the site is owned by an insurance company, it has an inherent bias and a marketing purpose intended to get you to switch to that provider.
The second type of insurance comparison engine is a third-party site with no affiliation with a specific insurance provider. This type of tool, such as Gabi, searches a wide variety of car insurance companies to find the best rates on the type of coverage you need. Because a third-party site has no bias toward a specific insurance company, it will only advise you to switch if doing so will actually save you money.
If you want to get the best insurance prices and accurate auto insurance rates from an insurance rate comparison, follow these tips.
1. Use an objective comparison tool
If you already know you want to use a certain auto insurance company, that carrier’s rate comparison tool will be a good match. But if you’re looking to save money and you’re not committed to a specific carrier, you’ll probably have better luck with an online auto insurance comparison tool that is not affiliated with a specific insurance company.
At Gabi, you can get the best car insurance rates from the nation’s top insurers, such as Progressive, Allstate, Travelers, and many more. We will also help you if you’re looking for home insurance (remember that you can save by bundling two or more policies together)!
2. Provide complete, accurate information
Your auto insurance policy quote is only as accurate as the information you’ve provided. Details that can affect the price of your car insurance coverage include:
- Location (address)
- Vehicle information (year, make, model)
- Vehicle Identification Number
- Annual mileage
- Your age (birthdate)
- Marital status
- Driver’s license number
- Your credit score and credit history (in some states)
- Vehicle ownership status
- Details of others in your household
You’ll also need to provide insurance details:
- Coverage limits that you would like to have (full coverage or not)
- Your driving history (also known as ‘driving record‘ and including car accidents, DUI, speeding tickets, etc.)
- Insurance claims history
- Insurance history
- Insurance discount options (occupation, grades, other insurance products like homeowners)
Make sure you’re providing complete and accurate details and insurance information to get a personalized and accurate quote designed to your needs.
3. Determine coverage limits
If you want to get the most personalized online car insurance quotes, you need to determine what type of coverage would meet your needs and what insurance costs would be affordable for you. Consider the following:
- Determine the amount of monthly insurance premium that you can afford (do you need cheap car insurance or are you ready to pay more for better coverage?)
- Do you need higher limits of liability coverage than the ones required in your state?
- If uninsured/underinsured motorist’s bodily injury or property damage is not required by statutory laws, determine if you need it (you can always ask your insurance agent for advice)
- Do you need full coverage with comprehensive, collision, and roadside assistance?
- If you need comprehensive and collision, specify the deductible amounts you can bear in case of an insurance claim (the sum you would need to pay before your insurance kicks in)
- If your vehicle is leased or financed, what type of coverage are you required to carry? Check your lender‘s and statutory requirements.
4. Is it better to get car insurance online or through an agent?
Online insurance quotes may sound like bait and switch at first but, in fact, they’re a fast, easy, and convenient option to get a personalized quote from home. You can easily modify your coverage options to see the difference in insurance rates for free. Also, you don’t have to search through countless options—you will get car insurance quotes from various insurers in one place. And even if you sign up with a comparison site, you are not locked into buying the policy so you don’t need to worry.
And if you fear lacking a personal contact with an insurance agent, try a comparison tool that includes an agent interaction. At Gabi, we have licensed insurance agents who can help you at any stage of getting a quote. They will talk you through your options and coverage limits and answer any questions you may have!
5. Be open to change
If you’re getting quotes on the comparison sites, it probably means you’re ready for a change: Maybe you have a new car, a new home, or you just weren’t happy with your previous coverage levels. Whatever your reason for comparing insurance rates, take the opportunity to save some money and search for the cheapest car insurance with the same coverage.
Just because your dad always used a certain insurance company doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of other reputable providers out there, and it’s likely that one of them could meet your needs with a cheaper car insurance policy. Free yourself to consider something new—go to gabi.com, sign up using your phone number, and get free auto insurance quotes today!